Britten: Still Falls the Rain
'Winter Words', last year's solo debut album by American tenor Nicholas Phan, was one of the most lauded releases of the year. Phan (pronounced pahn) follows up with Still Falls the Rain, another intelligently devised album of Britten's songs, this time focusing on works inspired by the composer's key collaborators including horn player Dennis Brain, harpist Osian Ellis and poet Edith Sitwell. As with Winter Words, Phan successfully intersperses great song cycles with popular folk song arrangements. The rarely recorded The Heart of the Matter includes the narration of Sitwell's poems by Scottish actor Alan Cumming.
Personnel: Nicholas Phan (tenor), Myra Huang (piano), Jennifer Montone (horn), Sivan Magen (harp), Alan Cumming (narrator)
Critical acclaim for Nicholas Phan:"A star in the making...exquisitely artful." - The Sunday Times
"Phan has both introspection and power...what wins this disc its five stars is the spacious, deeply moving delivery." - BBC Music Magazine
"A total pleasure on all fronts...it marks Phan's entry as an artist who must be heard." - National Public Radio
- The Heart of the Matter: Prologue - Fanfare: Where are the seeds of the Universal Fire
- Reading: The earth of my heart was broken and aped low...
- Reading: In the hour when the sapphire of the bone..
- Song: We are the darkness in the heat of the day
- Reading: In such a heat of the earth
- Canticle III - Still Falls the Rain, Op. 55
- Reading: I see Christ's wounds weep in the Rose on the wall
- Epilogue - Fanfare: So, out of the dark.
- A Birthday Hansel, Op. 92
- Canticle V - The Death of Saint Narcissus, Op. 89
- 8 Folksong Arrangements for Voice and Harp: Lord! I married me a wife
- She's like the swallow
- Bonny at morn
- Bugeilio'r Gwenith Gwyn
- Dafydd y Garreg Wen
- The False Knight upon the Road
- Bird Scarer's Song
- 2 Folksong Arrangements for Voice and Piano: Greensleeves
- The Holly and the Ivy
Fast delivery & returns worldwide