The Wake World
Compact Disc (Audio)
No of Discs:
The Wake World is a hallucinatory choral fantasy by Los Angeles-based composer David Hertzberg. Scored for five instruments and nine singers, it premiered in 2017 at the Barnes Foundation under the aegis of Opera Philadelphia. The music is evocative and dramatic, with lyrical arias and powerful instrumental colors. Based on a mystical fairy tale written by Aleister Crowley whilst under the influence of the Golden Dawn, the story describes an ecstatic journey of initiation through Hermetic runes, as Lola is lead by her fairy prince through a magical palace to enlightenment. Winner of the Music Critics Association of North America's Best New Opera Award, The Wake World is an operatic tour-de-force!
- I. Ritual Procession come un eco misterioso
- II. Preludium; A fleck, a quiff
- Lilith arrives, aeons late
- Shes dancing,
- III. The Beginning fiorente
- Is that you, my love,"
- Lola, Lola my darling,
- Scattered are the rose-leaves
- IV. The Palace; Your palace is beautiful
- Such soft violet glistens in this place
- What light lingers there,
- Can you recognize this faraway form?
- Whats this, up here?
- V. Treasure House of Gold; The den of jackals
- Musk... Civet...
- I used to be whole,
- Those silent wardens,
- Scattered are the rose-leaves (reprise)
- Strangers, why do you stand there,
- Though my eyes enfold; Things Both Strange and True
- VI. Mistress of It All; What queerest quiet attends us,
- What is this wrenching racket?
- Who is the man all covered up in the azure coat?
- This is what they call the house of love.
- Lola, wake up sleepyhead;
- My pristine palace,
- VII. Out of Doors; Now the next house, Lola,
- Then your sweet, supple flesh,
- Into what hushéd harrow have I fallen?
- Oh prince, why have you left me?
- Is that you, my love?
- My angel,
Fast delivery & returns worldwide