Simon Preston: Romantic Organ Music (The Argo Organ Recordings)
Simon Preston: The Argo Recordings (Romantic Organ Music) comprises music by Brahms, Franck, Reger, Reubke and Liszt, from five original Argo albums from the 1960s. These recordings have been newly remastered and compiled together for the first time in a 2CD set, with new booklet notes on the music and a tribute to Simon Preston.
This anthology is one of five newly remastered sets canvasing Simon Preston's complete solo organ recordings for Argo. They also include Preston's recordings of Messiaen (482 4917), 'Simon Preston at Westminster Abbey' (482 4933), and 20th-century organ music (482 4925) by Elgar, Hindemith and Maxwell Davies, and an organ spectacular featuring the Variations on America (482 8101) of Charles Ives.
'Simon Preston plays Franck in a way that pleases the English ear, gauges tempi and climaxes skilfully, and wrests from King's organ colours that do no disservice to this music.' Musical Times, December 1963
'Simon Preston, the brilliant young player has already made several records, but this is perhaps his best so far he gives performances which are specially notable for their sense of continuity and rhythmic control.' Gramophone, October 1964 (Reubke and Reger)
- JOHANNES BRAHMS Chorale Preludes, Op. 122 Nos. 1, 8, 4 & 10
- CESAR FRANCK Prelude, Fugue Et Variation, Op. 18*
- Choral No. 2 In B Minor
- Piece Heroique
- MAX REGER Toccata In D Major, Op. 59 No. 5
- Fugue In D Major, Op. 59 No. 6
- Fantasia On The Chorale Straf Mich Nicht In Deinem Zorn, Op. 40 No. 2
- JULIUS REUBKE Sonata In C Minor On The 94th Psalm
- FRANZ LISZT (18111886) Fantasia And Fugue On The Chorale Ad Nos, Ad Salutarem Undam, S.259
- Prelude And Fugue On B.A.C.H., S.529
Fast delivery & returns worldwide