Il Carnevale di Venezia - Puccini, Bottesini, Massenet
Compact Disc (Audio)
No of Discs:
Unlike the protagonist in Patrick Süskind's celebrated play 'The Double Bass', nobody can accuse Michael Rieber, principal double bass with the NDR Symphony Orchestra, of having a fraught relationship with his instrument. This recording, made with his musical partner Götz Schumacher on piano, is testimony to his tremendous musical enthusiasm and sensitivity. At the heart of this very personal selection of works are arrangements from Italian operatic arias such as E lucevan le stele from Puccini's 'Tosca' and Casta Diva from Bellini's tragedy 'Norma'. The disc also includes four bravura pieces by the opera composer and double bass virtuoso Giovanni Bottesini, among them the title track 'Il Carnevale di Venezia'. The operatic theme is complemented by arrangements of the Scriabin Étude Op. 2/1 for piano, Chopin's Prélude Op. 28/4, Song without Words Op. 109 by Felix Mendelssohn, and two original miniatures, Chanson Triste Op. 2 and Valse Miniature Op.1/2, by Serge Koussevitzky. Of Rieber's playing, conductor Zubin Mehta enthuses: "I am impressed by this wonderful sound. Michael Rieber's command of his instrument is astounding, and we feel as though we are listening to a well-trained baritone." The bassist has worked for the Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra and the Bavarian State Opera in addition to his current roles with the NDR Symphony Orchestra and as a professor at the University of Music in Hamburg.
- Puccini: Tosca - E lucevan le Stelle (Arr. For Double Bass and Piano)
- Bottesini: Introduction and Variations on 'The Carnival of Venice'
- Massenet: Thaïs: Méditation (Arr. For Double Bass And Piano)
- Scriabin: Étude, Op. 2 No. 1 In C-Sharp Minor (Arr. For Double Bass And Piano)
- Koussevitzky: Chanson triste, Op. 2
- Koussevitzky: Valse miniature, Op. 1 No. 2
- Chopin: Prelude E Minor, Op. 28 No. 4
- Bottesini: Allegretto Capriccio 'á La Chopin' In F-Sharp Minor
- Bellini: Norma - Casta Diva (Arr. For Double Bass and Piano)
- Bottesini: Fantasia on 'La Sonnambula'
- Puccini: Manon - In quelle trine Morbide (Arr. For Double Bass and Piano)
- Mendelssohn Bartholdy: Song without words, Op. 30 No. 9(Arr. For Double Bass and Piano)
- Bottesini: Variations On 'Nel Cor Più Non Mi Sento'
- Moreno Torroba: Maravilla - Amor, vida de mi Vida (Arr. For Double Bass and Piano)
Fast delivery & returns worldwide