Path - Yanov-Yanovsky, Part, Medyulyanova, Vrebalov etc.
The CD opens with the beguiling sonorities of Yanov-Yanovsky's Chang Music IV (1991), where the composer succeeds in transferring the sounds of the Uzbek Chang, a traditional Uzbek instrument, to the string quartet. Pärt's Von Angesicht zu Angesicht (2005) is a contemplation on the First Letter of St. Paul to the Corinthians 'For now we see through a glass, darkly' sung with great reverence by Eamonn Dougan and Patricia Rozario. The Dublin Guitar Quartet perform Pärt's Summa (1997/1991) for the first time in a sumptuous version for guitar quartet under the guidance of the composer.
Medyulanova's meditative Ewige Ruhe (2004) allows a moment of calm for the departed to be followed by Vrebalov's mystical The Spell III (2008) which includes voices from the vocal group Moba. Tavener's deeply moving Epistle of Love (2000) features the haunting voice of Patricia Rozario and lute like piano playing of Michael McHale. Nadareishvili's reflective String Quartet No1, Mvt III (1987) is performed with great sensitivity by the Carducci quaret and the album closes with the Indian influenced composition Sámaveda (1997) for soprano, flute and tempura, another Tavener premiere.
Path follows 2009's 'A Place Between', the first, and highly acclaimed, CD issued by Irish concert promoters, Louth Contemporary Music Society (LCMS).
Personnel: The Carducci Quartet, Patricia Rozario (soprano), Michael McHale (piano), Dublin Guitar Quartet, Eamonn Dougan (baritone), Joachim Roewer (viola), Malachy Robinson (double-bass), Deirdre O'Leary (clarinet), Doreen Curran (mezzo-soprano), Elizabeth Cooney (violin), Vourneen Ryan (flute), Ranjana Ghatak (tampura).
- Chang Music IV: Movement I
- Chang Music IV: Movement II
- Von Angesicht zu Angesicht (World Premiere Recording)
- Summa (World Premiere Recording of version for guitar quartet)
- Ewige Ruhe (Eternal Peace) (World Premiere Recording)
- The Spell III for Violin and Live Electronics (World Premiere Recording)
- Epistle of Love: I. Into Beauty - II. Yearning for the Lord - III. Epistle of Love - IV. A Communing
- Ad Libitum quasi adagio: III. Quartet No. 1
- Sámaveda (World Premiere Recording)
Fast delivery & returns worldwide