The Art Of Nance Grant (2CD)
Nance Grant chose to stay close to her family in Australia rather than pursue an international career, even though Sir Edward Downes insisted he could 'fill her books' with performances in Britain and Europe. So this double album offers those who never had the opportunity to hear her, the gift of discovering a voice of magnitude and generosity, and for those who grew up hearing her on stage, the chance to reacquaint themselves with her artistry.
The original tapes from radio broadcasts of the 1960s and '70s have been carefully restored to give more than a hint of the majesty of Nance Grant in a characteristic range of repertoire. The recordings represent significant landmarks in the development of opera in Australia: the emerging Victorian State Opera's enormously successful Idomeneo, re di Creta, and Maria Stuarda under the direction of Richard Divall; Australian Opera's Ariadne auf Naxos, Fidelio and Tannhäuser with Sir Edward Downes; and one of the first of the Australian Opera/ABC collaborations presenting concert performances of Wagner operas, with Grant as Sieglinde in Die Walküre conducted by Leif Segerstam.
The programme also pays homage to Nance's considerable concert career, including a complete song recital - Greig, Richard Hageman and Richard Strauss - with pianist Geoffrey Parsons, Wagner's Wesendonck Lieder with the West Australian Symphony Orchestra, and an excerpt from Mendelssohn's Elijah.
Personnel: Nance Grant (soprano), Geoffrey Parsons (piano), West Australian Symphony Orchestra, Dalia Atlas (conductor) and others
- Edvard Grieg: I Love Thee (Melodies of the Heart Op. 5 No. 3)
- With a Waterlily Op. 25 No. 4
- Two Brown Eyes (Melodies of the Heart Op. 5 No. 4)
- Solveig's Song (Peer Gynt Op. 23)
- A Dream Op. 48 No. 6
- Richard Hageman: Charity
- Music I Heard With You
- At the Well
- Do Not Go, My Love
- Richard Strauss: Ich Schwebe Op. 48 No. 2
- Meinem Kinde Op. 37 No. 3
- Die Nacht (Acht Gedichte Op. 10 No. 3)
- Die Georgine (Acht Gedichte Op. 10 No. 4)
- Wie Sollten geheim sie Halten? Op. 19 No. 4
- Glückes genug Op. 37 No. 1
- Schön sind, doch kalt Op. 19 No. 3
- Waldseligkeit Op. 49 No. 1
- Wiegenlied Op. 41 No. 1
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Idomeneo, re di Creta, 'Estinto è Idomene
- 'Idol mio, se ritroso altra amante a me ti rende' (Wayward lover n
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Fidelio, 'Komm, Hoffnung, lass den letzten St
- Gaetano Donizetti: Maria Stuarda, 'Sì, vuol di Francia il Rege col
- Richard Wagner: Tannhäuser, 'Dich, teure Halle'
- Die Walküre: 'Der Männer Sippe'
- 'Du bist der Lenz' Sieglinde
- Richard Strauss: Ariadne auf Naxos, 'Ein Schönes war'* 'A Wonder Wa
- 'Es gibt ein Reich'(There is a Land)
- Felix Mendelssohn: Elijah, 'Hear Ye, Israel'
- Richard Wagner: Wesendonck-Lieder, Der Engel
- Stehe still!
- Im Treibhaus
Fast delivery & returns worldwide