Earl Wild: [Re]Visions - Piano Transcriptions
Following the success of his Odradek debut, Abschied (keyboard works by C.P.E. Bach), pianist Vittorio Forte pays tribute to one of his musical heroes, Earl Wild, whose transcriptions are, in Forte's words, "a revelation".
Earl Wild was a prodigiously talented American pianist who became as famous for his transcriptions as for his dazzling performances, representing a vital link with 19th-century exponents of the pianist-composer tradition such as Liszt, Rachmaninov and Busoni. Wild died in 2010, and this release represents a tribute to the great musician on the tenth anniversary of his death.
For Vittorio Forte, "Earl Wild was the perfect example of a marvellous blend between academism and modernity in an ever-changing world", a combination audible in the array of works chosen for this recital. We hear Wild's transcriptions of two elegant Baroque pieces: Handel's 'Harmonious Blacksmith' and the 'Adagio' from Marcello's Oboe Concerto, contrasted with the Russian passion of Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov. Then to 20 th -century America with Wild's breathtaking Seven Virtuoso Etudes on songs by George Gershwin and his Improvisation in the form of a Theme and Three Variations on 'Someone To Watch Over Me'. The release concludes with one of Forte's own transcriptions, of the Solfeggietto by C.P.E. Bach.
Praise for Vittorio Forte on Odradek:
" heartfelt and resourceful playing Forte's interpretation glows with imagination and virtuosity Adventurous listeners eager for a detour from the beaten path, not to mention connoisseurs of thoughtful piano-playing of cultivated sensitivity, won't want to miss this." Gramophone
" the Italian pianist seizes this music with an approach going well beyond the notes, vastly expanding the musical horizon of the included pieces. And this approach fully achieves its goal by offering great delicacy, depth and charm to these underrated pages. With its natural elegance, Vittorio Forte's playing forces admiration with humility and grace. A CD to discover immediately." Opus Haute Définition
"We cannot be proud of an album unless we are the author, but we can be proud and blessed to have experienced a beautiful story by listening to it. And I am proud to have this album in my discography." Classique HD
- George Frideric Handel - Air And Variations On 'The Harmonious Blacksmith'
- Alessandro Marcello - Adagio From The Oboe Concerto In D Minor SF935
- Sergei Rachmaninov - Dreams, Op. 38, No. 5
- Sergei Rachmaninov - Where Beauty Dwells, Op. 21, No. 7
- Sergei Rachmaninov - The Muse, Op. 34, No. 1
- Sergei Rachmaninov - Floods Of Spring, Op. 14, No. 11
- Sergei Rachmaninov - Do Not Grieve, Op.14, No. 8
- Sergei Rachmaninov - Sorrow In Springtime, Op. 21, No. 12
- Sergei Rachmaninov - On The Death Of A Linnet, Op. 21, No. 8
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - Dance Of The Four Swans (from Swan Lake, Op. 20)
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky - At The Ball, Op. 38, No. 3
- George Gershwin - Seven Virtuoso Etudes On Popular Songs: Liza
- George Gershwin - Seven Virtuoso Etudes On Popular Songs: Somebody Loves Me
- George Gershwin - Seven Virtuoso Etudes On Popular Songs: The Man I Love
- George Gershwin - Seven Virtuoso Etudes On Popular Songs: Embraceable You
- George Gershwin - Seven Virtuoso Etudes On Popular Songs: Oh, Lady Be Good!
- George Gershwin - Seven Virtuoso Etudes On Popular Songs: I Got Rhythm
- George Gershwin - Seven Virtuoso Etudes On Popular Songs: Fascinating Rhythm
- George Gershwin - Seven Virtuoso Etudes On Popular Songs: Improvisation In The Form Of A Theme And Three Variations On Someone To Watch Over Me
- Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach - Solfeggietto In The Form Of An Improvisation
Fast delivery & returns worldwide