World-premiere recordings of music for a unique combination: Western classical guitar and the kanun, a zither-like Eastern string instrument performed by Vassilis Ketentzoglou and Sofia Labropoulou.
Versatile Greek musicians Vassilis Ketentzoglou and Sofia Labropoulou have created a repertory for this unprecedented combination, resulting in a new and fresh musical soundworld; a meeting of minds and cultures. On one hand, there is the guitar: a fretted, well-tempered, polyphonic "Western" string instrument; on the other, the kanun: a zither-like "Eastern" string instrument, capable of playing microtonal scales, and typically played as a monophonic solo instrument. As this release demonstrates, these musicians have found innovative ways to blend these contrasting musical worlds: the guitar sometimes becomes an "Eastern" solo instrument, playing microtonal melodies and ornamenting as Middle Eastern instruments do, and the kanun becomes like a "Western" instrument, playing chords or even counterpoint.
The album's eponymous Butterfly symbolises bringing these instruments out of their cocoon, emerging into a colourful world in which guitar and kanun do not simply co-exist but blossom together as one.
- Vassilis Ketentzoglou - Epistrophe
- Sofia Labropoulou - Kanun Improvisation
- Sofia Labropoulou - Bolero
- Vassilis Ketentzoglou - Mavra Poulia
- Sofia Labropoulou - Korakan
- Vassilis Ketentzoglou - Guitar Improvisation
- Vassilis Ketentzoglou - Arlin
- Vassilis Ketentzoglou - Tsakitzis
- Vassilis Ketentzoglou & Sofia Labropoulou - Neveser Medley
- Sofia Labropoulou - Prologos
Fast delivery & returns worldwide