Alan Rawsthorne: A Portrait - Woodwind Concertos and Chamber Works
This album from Prima Facie showcases Alan Rawsthorne's Woodwind Concertos and Chamber Works (composed between 1936 and 1961) performed by various artists including Linda Merrick, Sylvia Harper, Jill Crowther, the Manchester Sinfonia and The English Northern Philharmonia.
Alan Rawsthorne (1905-1971) gained his first notable success at the London Festival of the International Society for Contemporary Music in 1936 with a performance of his Theme and Variations for Two Violins. A further success was registered at the Warsaw Festival of the same organization in 1939 with his Symphonic Studies. Following the war, in which he served in the Army, he devoted himself to composition and between then and his death was to produce several substantial works, making important contributions to the chamber music and solo piano repertoire.
The recordings of three of the works on this disc, the Quartet for oboe, violin, viola and cello (No.1), Studies on a Theme by Bach for string trio and the Concerto for Oboe and String Orchestra were included on a now deleted CD released by ASC in 2002. These are represented here alongside new recordings of further chamber music and the Concerto for Clarinet and String Orchestra.
In the case of the Clarinet Concerto, this album provided an opportunity to include not only the premiere recording of the published, original ending, but also the revised ending. The very attractive arrangement of 'Brother James's Air', also for cello and piano, is a premiere recording. 'A Most Eloquent Music', from the incidental music Rawsthorne composed for the 1961 Royal Shakespeare Company production of Hamlet, has also been included on a CD released by the RSC in commemoration of the four- hundredth anniversary of Shakespeare's death.
Artists Linda Merrick Manchester Sinfonia, cond. Richard Howarth Sylvia Harper Jake Rea David Aspin Joseph Spooner David Owen Norris John Turner Laura Robinson Roger Child Jill Crowther The English Northern Philharmonia, cond. Alan Cuckston
- Concerto For Clarinet And String Orchestra - Preludio: Moderato
- Concerto For Clarinet And String Orchestra - Capriccio Adagio Molto
- Concerto For Clarinet And String Orchestra - Aria : Adagio
- Concerto For Clarinet And String Orchestra - Invention ; Allegro Giocoso (to Bar 157)
- Concerto For Clarinet And String Orchestra - Original Ending Bar 158 -Bar 161
- Concerto For Clarinet And String Orchestra - Revised Ending Bars 158 - 168
- Quartet No 1 For Oboe And String Trio
- Studies On A Theme By Bach For String Trio
- Brother James Air
- Sonata For Cello And Piano Adagio, Allegro Appassionatato
- Sonata For Cello And Piano Adagio
- Sonata For Cello And Piano Allegro Molto
- A Most Eloquent Music
- Concerto For Oboe And String Orchestra Maestoso Appassionato - Allegro
- Concerto For Oboe And String Orchestra Allegretto Con Morbidezza
- Concerto For Oboe And String Orchestra Vivace
Fast delivery & returns worldwide